The Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) has responsibility for emergency management at East Carolina University. Our office is charged with protecting the university’s mission of instruction, healthcare, research, and outreach through emergency planning and preparedness at all levels of the university. The office bases this mission on the principles of emergency management:
- Mitigation: Reduce the loss of life and property by lessening the impact of disasters.
- Preparedness: Reduce the impact of an emergency on people through education, planning, and training;
- Response: Save lives, protect property and the environment, and meet basic human needs after an incident occurred.
- Recovery: Assist the campus community and those affected by an incident to recover effectively, including, but not limited to rebuilding infrastructure, providing interim or long-term shelter, restoring services, and restoring resources.
Our office is responsible for the following emergency management programs and plans:
- Developing and maintaining all institutional emergency plans, which include the following.
- Campus Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) including, but not limited to, the annexes and appendices below:
- Emergency Support Functions
- Primary Continuity of Operations
- Hazard Annexes (Crisis Communications Plan, EOC Manual, Hazardous Specific Plan, Damage Assessment Plan).
- Appendices (Severe Weather, Hurricane, and Winter Weather Plans)
- Management of the Institution’s business continuity program
- Departmental Continuity of Operations Plans (COOP)
- Maintaining the ECU Alert System, LiveSafe, and WeatherStem
- Responsibility for campus-wide emergency trainings, exercises and after-action reports
- Management of the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) and Virtual EOC (VEOC)
- Overall coordination and execution of institutional emergency response such as to natural disasters, fires, and other emergencies
ECU and EH&S promotes emergency management to the campus community through outreach and training. Please contact us for assistance with any questions regarding emergency management and preparedness by calling our office at (252) 328-6166 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read More About…
- LiveSafe: ECU’s Safety Mobile Application Solution
- ECU Alert: ECU’s Emergency Notification System
- Departmental Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP)
- The importance of personal and family preparedness
- Student’s guide to recovering from a natural disaster
- ECU Hazard Mitigation Plan Update