University Insurance

Risk Management maintains insurance coverage for the university’s buildings, contents, and university-owned vehicles. The scope of the Risk Management operations encompasses the entire university population, operations, and real property across the state, including purchased, leased, and rental properties. The university owns more than 600 motor vehicles and pieces of self-propelled equipment.

N.C. General Statute §58-194.2 states that all insurance authorized for state agencies will be placed by the N.C. Department of Insurance. Therefore, state agencies cannot obtain insurance directly through private companies. All insurance coverage paid by funds “under the custody and control” of the university must be coordinated through Risk Management and approved by the N.C. Department of Insurance. Coverage is obtained through the N.C. Department of Insurance and its agent of record, the N.C. Association of Insurance Agents.

For more information, call Jay Surles at 252-328-2010.

Tenant’s and User’s Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP)

East Carolina University, as a member of the University Risk Managers and Insurance Association (URMIA), is able to offer TULIP (Tenant’s and User’s Liability Insurance Policy) as an easy and affordable way to purchase insurance for your event.

Get a Quote for TULIP


Vehicle Damage Reporting Form

Use this form for every accident involving a university vehicle. Take pictures at the scene of the accident to document what has happened. Pictures should show the damage of the entire vehicle and close-ups of various angles to show the extent of damage to all vehicles and property involved.

Vehicle Transaction Form

Used when adding or deleting vehicles to the university policy, or changing insurance coverage to existing university vehicles. If transferring vehicles from one department to another, please use the vehicle transfer form.

Vehicle Transfer Form

Used when transferring a university vehicle from one department to another. The first portion should be completed from the transferring department, sent to the receiving department to be completed at the bottom of the form. The receiving department will forward the completed form to Jay Surles at

Rental Vehicles Form: Certificate of Insurance (COI) and Passenger Vans

When renting a 12-15 Passenger Van, or high value vehicle, you need to:

1) Make arrangements to rent the vehicle per the Parking and Transportation website.

2) Complete the online form listed above and SUBMIT BEFORE YOU LEAVE for your destination. You will not have most of the information needed until after you pick up the vehicle, so it is important to think logistically about your vehicle pick up and departure.

This form can also be used for COI requests that are needed for rented/leased vehicles. Please allow 24 hours for agent to process request.

Not sure what to do? View the Rental Vehicle Matrix to help decide.

Travelers Insurance Card Claim Info

Vehicle Insurance Card: This printable insurance card should be printed each year and kept with the vehicle in the glove compartment. The policy renews July 1st of each year. Please make a note of what to do in case of a motor vehicle accident. Step 3 involves filing a claim as soon as possible (see Vehicle Damage Reporting Form) with Jay Surles. If you have a claim please take photos at the scene of the accident of all vehicles involved.

ECU Sponsored Camp Form

Camps/programs must opt for this accident insurance coverage. To purchase accident coverage for an ECU sponsored camp/program, please return this memo with the attached Insurance participation form to Jay Surles at to bind coverage.

ECU Fine Arts COI Request Form

Use this form to request a certificate of insurance showing coverage for artwork that might be loaned or in the possession of the university.

ECU Leased Equipment Policy Change Form

Complete this form to add/delete leased equipment.

Property Damage Loss Reporting Form

Use this form when there is damage to ECU Property. If there are multiple buildings involved, then please use a different form for each building. If you need to add an attachment, then use this form as a cover page and forward all documents to

Personal Property Damage – Tort Claim Form

It is not uncommon for ECU employees to keep personal items in their work areas for various reasons, including, but not limited to, enhancing their work environment or personal convenience.  At the same time, damage, destruction, or theft of this personal property can occur (for example, an office ceiling leaks following a severe thunderstorm damaging or destroying an employee’s artwork or photographs).  ECU employees are responsible for personal items kept on university property, and the University will not pay for damage to or loss of these items except where ECU is determined to have legal responsibility for any damage or loss to personal property as specified under the North Carolina Tort Claims Act (N.C. Gen. Stat. 143-291, et seq.).  Employees are encouraged to maintain insurance coverage for loss or damage to their personal property, and this coverage is most commonly available through an individual’s homeowners or renters’ insurance policy.  Employees are encouraged to contact their insurer for more information on coverage options. 

Complete and remit this form to the Office of University Counsel to initiate a tort claim against ECU. A tort claim is a legal claim made against the University demanding compensation for damages suffered by an individual that are attributable to the University committing a tort. If there are questions regarding tort claims, please contact the Office of University Counsel at (252) 328-6940.