Chemical Inventory

In order to comply with the EPA’s Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know regulations and the OSHA Laboratory Standard, the University must compile an annual inventory identifying the exact location (building and room) and quantity of all hazardous materials on campus (labs, clinics, and non-labs). This information also helps EH&S and Greenville Fire and Rescue respond appropriately during emergencies.

The chemical inventory should be maintained on a regular ongoing basis, but at minimum updated and sent to EH&S annually to meet regulatory requirements. However, it is highly recommended that each area updates its inventory as new hazardous materials are purchased and when old hazardous materials are properly disposed.

Hazardous Material: Any material that, because of its quantity, concentration, physical or chemical characteristics, poses an immediate or potential hazard to human health and safety or to the environment if released.

You are encouraged to include all hazardous materials in your inventory so the information is readily available to emergency responders. The following examples are materials required to be inventoried:

  • Laboratory chemicals
  • Paints
  • Solvents
  • Pesticides
  • Petroleum products (fuels)
  • Compressed liquids (e.g. liquid nitrogen tank) and gases
  • And any other material for which a Safety Data Sheet (SDS) exists.

If you are unsure of what to include, please contact EH&S (328-6166).

Anyone responsible for an area where hazardous materials are used or stored is required to maintain a complete chemical inventory and submit the inventory at least annually to EH&S. This includes, but is not limited to, people in the following roles:

  • Principal investigators
  • Supervisors
  • Storeroom Managers

To facilitate the submission of the inventory, control forms (labs and clinics and non-labs), and all supporting documentation and resources are available on the page.